Wednesday, September 21, 2011

MMM Metal Steampunk

WOW. I was really worried about this one! I had no clue what I could use for the metal in this week's challenge. Luckily, I have ideas "pop" into my head while I'm falling to sleep. Wanna know why I have "pop" in quotations? I'll tell you!

This week at Make My Monday, we are continuing our monthly theme of steampunk with an added twist--metal. And I needed to figure out how to get metal! Well, we recycle and one night as I was drifting off to sleep, trying to remember that the recycling needed to go out, it came to me! Soda pop cans! Hence, the "pop" in quotations--HAHAHA, very punny, right? ;D

Anyway, I cut my soda pop can into a long sheet, dry embossed it with my Tim Holtz steampunk mini dry embossing folders, cut out the images, glued the metal onto the paper with a hot glue gun, and VOILA~but before you see it, I have to apologize for the pictures. They're not that good and do not do the card justice... :( I think I need to buy an Ott light...anyway...

Here it is~

I added some more metal elements to the middle of the gears with some Filigree and Ice rhinestone brads from Stampin' Up! I also used silver elastic cord instead of ribbon to continue the metal theme.

Here is a close up of the gears~

And for good measure, the metal man~

And, of course, the sentiment~

Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at my little met-ally steampunk project. It was really fun! I LOVE steampunk now, and I'm so glad I found Make My Monday challenges! I hope you're inspired to join us next week! Happy crafting! :)

13 comments:

Bev said...

Mynnette, this is lovely.
Using a pop can is inspired, and I may pinch your idea in the future!!
Bev.x

Yvonne Garner said...

Mynette, your card is awesome and so creative! Thanks, too, f dropping by my blog. Much appreciated. Best, Yvonne

Canonbury creations said...

Mynette this is the most beautiful steampunk card I have ever seen! The metal is absolute genius:)
Val x

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Wow MYNETTE I am lost for words. Your card is just simply stunning. Adore eveything about it. Lovely to see you at make my monday again.

Mynn xx said...

Thanks, ladies! :D

Suzi B said...

Another WOW! from me too Mynnette this is fabulous... I esp like the shrub nestling in the corner.. and the metal bits of course!
Thank you for joining Make My Monday.
Suzi B :)

Vicky Hayes said...

Utterly breathtaking Mynette!

Aquarius said...

Great card and well done for recycling at the same time

Mynn xx said...

Thanks, ladies! :)

Jacqueline said...

Inspired work and a beautiful card - thanks for joining in again at Make My Monday - Jacqueline xx

Fliss said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Mynnette and love how you made your metal elements which look fantastic. Hope no cut fingers resulted!
Thanks for taking part in this week's Make My Monday challenge and wishing you good luck.
Fliss xx

Mynn xx said...

Thanks, gals! :) No cut fingers--it's actually pretty safe. :)

Yvonne Garner said...

Congrats Mynnette on being selected in Top Three at MMM! Well deserved! Have. Great week. Best, Yvonne