Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Upcycled Napkin Rings

Okay, so I have a bit of an interesting upcycle for you tonight! For our wedding, my DH and I were given a pair of odd napkin rings...

Here they are~

A bit clunky and awkward, ya know? I'm not even quite sure they were meant to be napkin rings, that was just how they were gifted/presented to us. And so I stored them. And forgot about them...for seven years.

So, anyway, late last year, my DH and I were going through all of our "stuff" to throw away things and send some to the Goodwill, and I found those crazy napkin rings again. I was going to donate them, but a little voice inside me said, "NO--you can use these!" That little voice was right.

Here's what I made~

Details~


Lit up~


Okay, so now I'll tell you how I transformed those crazy napkin rings into little tea light lanterns. I cut a strip of vellum, scored it, stamped it, then placed it into the metal frame--oh, the tops come off, by the way. ;) After that, it was just a matter of embellishing! I had SO much fun upcycling these--they're going on my table for a romantic Valentine's dinner lighting option. They match the other decor I made last year! :)

What do you think? I love the way they've turned out! I hope you'll upcycle something today--it's so much fun! Happy crafting!

Submitting my tealight lanterns to these fabulous challenges~



Just Us Girls: 3D Valentine Project

Prairie Fairy Fridays: Anything BUT a card


LESSology: Floral Delight

22 comments:

Scrapcat 1 said...

These are lovely Mynette, they will look beautiful on your dinner table.

yyam said...

Oh my! What a fantastic transformation Mynnette! I love the beautiful details you've added! And they look awesome lighted up! :)

So glad you could join us at LESSology! :)

Karen Petitt said...

Mynette - they are the oddest pair of napkin rings I have ever seen! lol But they do make the most beautiful tea light lanterns. They are so pretty and useful now - well done on some fab up-cycling hugs Karen x

Tanya Ham said...

GREAT job! :)

Vicky Hayes said...

Mynnette you've made some napkin rings (still can't figure out how they'd work!) into some beautiful works of art! Enjoy that romantic valentines dinner!

Lisa Elton said...

FUN upcycle Mynnette! CLEVER girl and they look so pretty lit up. I'm still trying to picture a napkin in here...scratching my head on this one! But the gifter had good intentions I'm sure ;) Have a great day!!!

Maria said...

Wow! Love it! So wonderful. Thanks for playing along with JUGS!

Unknown said...

What a great upcycle Mynnette! Those tea lights are much better than napkin rings and I know you will love using them at your Valentines dinner. Very creative! I wish I had your imagination :D

Beverly Montez said...

Well, whatever they were, you made them even better! Totally creative.
Thanks for joining us at Fairy Fun Fridays this week!
hugs,
Beverly

Dana Gustafson said...

Mynette! SO glad you plucked these from the donation box! THey are a masterpiece in your creative hands. Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

Annette Bowes said...

Your tealights are gorgeous Mynette! What a clever upcycle and a much more beautiful keepsake, have a wonderful weekend, take careX:)

Jacqueline said...

Amazing - they will be so lovely as table decorations - Jacqueline xx

Dolly Daydreams said...

Hi Mynnette, you astound me what a transformation, love how they turned out they are so romantic now.

Marie

Hannah Clark said...

These are so, so pretty! I love what you've done with them! Absolutely fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Fairy Fun Fridays!

Dorte said...

So lovely they are, really pretty.
Thank you for joining our challenge at FFF.
Enjoy your evening.
Dorte,xx

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Very creative, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Shahrul Niza said...

Wow! They are SOOO beautiful! Who would have thought? Heart them lanterns.

Tracey said...

Beautiful transformation....what a fabulous idea!
Thank you also for leaving such kind words on my blog.

Jess said...

Gorgeous! I love that! :)

Linda said...

Wow this is gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at LESSology with your amazing creation.

Dora said...

Beautiful work!
Thanks for playing!

~amy~ said...

a wonderful upcycle! Looks FAB..thanks for joining us at LESSology!